450mm transition could halve number of semi manufacturers
Autore: Welcome to Fudzilla
Otellini’s scaremongering or true threat?
Outgoing Intel CEO Paul Otellini believes that the transition to 450mm wafers could virtually wipe out half of semiconductor companies.
Speaking at a tech conference Otellini said transitioning to 450mm will be costly, simply too costly for small fish.
“In general, every time there has been a wafer-size change in the industry, only half of [design and production] market players [survived],” said Otellini.
Naturally, Otellini is confident about the transition to 450mm and EUV manufacturing, since Intel is leading the way in cutting edge manufacturing processes and it has done so for years. Transitioning to 450mm will result in cheaper chips, something that Intel desperately needs to take on the ARM alliance in smartphone and tablet markets.
Of course, Otellini could be going into doomsayer mode just to scare smaller players and their investors.
- China’s supersonic submarine, which could go from Shanghai to San Francisco in 100 minutes, creeps ever closer to reality
- A fully transparent solar cell that could make every window and screen a power source
- Flashing LEDs could create a mesh network for self-driving cars
- State of the Part: SoC Manufacturers
- Smart tattoo generates electricity from sweat, could power future wearable computers
- DirectX 12 to halve power consumption on some configurations
- New USB plug could rock your world
- By 2020, you could have an exascale speed-of-light optical computer on your desk
- Full duplex: A fundamental radio tech breakthrough that could double throughput, alleviate the spectrum crunch
- Could Microsoft upgrade the Xbox One’s hardware to fix the PS4 performance gap?