450mm transition could halve number of semi manufacturers
Autore: Welcome to Fudzilla
Otellini’s scaremongering or true threat?
Outgoing Intel CEO Paul Otellini believes that the transition to 450mm wafers could virtually wipe out half of semiconductor companies.
Speaking at a tech conference Otellini said transitioning to 450mm will be costly, simply too costly for small fish.
“In general, every time there has been a wafer-size change in the industry, only half of [design and production] market players [survived],” said Otellini.
Naturally, Otellini is confident about the transition to 450mm and EUV manufacturing, since Intel is leading the way in cutting edge manufacturing processes and it has done so for years. Transitioning to 450mm will result in cheaper chips, something that Intel desperately needs to take on the ARM alliance in smartphone and tablet markets.
Of course, Otellini could be going into doomsayer mode just to scare smaller players and their investors.
- Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited service could be the digital library we’ve always wanted
- Broadwell MacBook Pro and iMac could be delayed deep into 2015
- Contraception really could be the Mark of the Beast
- Eel muscle could be the first step towards human-generated electricity
- Tonga Radeons could land in August
- UK coppers could turn into hackers
- Could sanctioned game mods on PS4 and Xbox stave off Valve’s attack on consoles?
- Einsteinian error: The 25-year-old supernova that could change the speed of light forever
- New material could provide massive boost to solar cell efficiency
- FREE ENERGY DEVICE – Akula Lantern Circuit number 4