450mm transition could halve number of semi manufacturers
Autore: Welcome to Fudzilla
Otellini’s scaremongering or true threat?
Outgoing Intel CEO Paul Otellini believes that the transition to 450mm wafers could virtually wipe out half of semiconductor companies.
Speaking at a tech conference Otellini said transitioning to 450mm will be costly, simply too costly for small fish.
“In general, every time there has been a wafer-size change in the industry, only half of [design and production] market players [survived],” said Otellini.
Naturally, Otellini is confident about the transition to 450mm and EUV manufacturing, since Intel is leading the way in cutting edge manufacturing processes and it has done so for years. Transitioning to 450mm will result in cheaper chips, something that Intel desperately needs to take on the ARM alliance in smartphone and tablet markets.
Of course, Otellini could be going into doomsayer mode just to scare smaller players and their investors.
- Rory Read talks could, streaming
- Nvidia thinks small PCs could squeeze consoles
- Alcatel-Lucent could be back from the dead
- Nanoparticle-infused speaker could mean better sound in a smaller package
- Magnetic fields could super-cool your gaming PC, nuclear reactors
- Magnetic switches could use 10,000 times less power than silicon transistors
- AMD’s GloFo deal could lead to inventory issues
- The secret second operating system that could make every mobile phone insecure
- New OLED tech could make smartphone screens cheaper and more power-efficient
- New super-accurate atomic clock could be ultra-portable thanks to chilly atoms