Haswell will have an integrated voltage regulator
Autore: Welcome to Fudzilla
For those who need their volts regulated and integrated
Chipzilla’s secret weapon to push its Haswell Chip is an internal voltage regulator which it thinks will cut power consumption.
According to Xbit labs Haswell will not only improve performance and feature some tricks to lower power consumption, but will use a VRM as a secret weapon. This will improve the granularity of power supply to central processing units and thus further cut power consumption without compromising performance.
VRMs usually sit on the mainboards, but recently, multi-phase CPU power supply circuitries were bought in. While these are not bad they cost a bit and take up too much space on mainboards. They also do not improve granularity and performance as well as Intel needs.
Xbit has found evidence that Intel has developed a special programmable chip with 20 power cells. Each power cells is a mini VR with analogue circuits rated for up to 25A electric current and supporting up to 16 phases. Potentially, one 20-cell chip enables 320 power phases per CPU, which allows extreme granularity of power supply. Apparenly Intel will install the integrated voltage regulator (IVR) chip, which will be made using 22nm process technology onto the same substrate with Haswell microprocessors.
Ultimately Chipzilla will build an IVR into microprocessor to further improve granularity of power supply. This will probably appear in Broadwell chips for notebooks, but also for various system-on-chip solutions for smartphones and tablets.
- I nuovi Macbook potrebbero avere una durata della batteria superiore del 50 % grazie a Intel Haswell
- Intel: Haswell will draw 50% less power than Ivy Bridge
- Intel: «I chip Haswell ridurranno i consumi fino al 50%»
- Haswell Z87 Motherboard Preview: 50+ Motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, ECS, Biostar and EVGA
- Nvidia won most Haswell high-end notebooks
- Sea Sonic and Corsair Power Supplies Certified for Haswell
- Notebook Intel Haswell pronti al lancio, presto sugli scaffali ma a prezzi più alti
- Intel Core i7 4770K Haswell OCed to 5GHz at 0.9V
- Intel VP2 AC + BT to get Haswell to 867Mbits
- Overclock fino a 7GHz per una CPU Intel Haswell