Sony flogs skyscraper
Autore: Welcome to Fudzilla
Sony is about to flog off its skyscraper on Madison Avenue to the Chetrit Group, a major family-owned New York property outfit for $ 1.1 billion.
Sony said the sale was to raise much-needed cash, expected to equal $ 770m, after bills on the building have been pay off. The firm will also record a windfall profit in its accounts, as the building is being sold at a gain of £685m, compared with the price that Sony originally paid for it in 2002.
The company will not be moving out of the building. Apparently it will continue to lease the building back for another three years following the sale. The company has 1,500 Sony employees working in the building, including its music and films businesses.
The 37-floor building was first constructed in 1984, at a time when Sony was worth a lot of dosh thanks to the success of its Walkman. In November, Sony suffered the ignominy of having its credit rating downgraded to “junk” because the company had serious doubts about whether Sony will be able to repay its debts.
- Sony Z3 Tablet Compact, tablet da 8” in arrivo all’IFA 2014
- Hackers and trolls down Sony
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Review! (Verizon)
- Hackers take down PSN with DDOS, and Sony president’s plane with a bomb threat
- Sony Xperia Z3 in arrivo, sarà il nuovo top di gamma Sony
- Perché la PS4 ha successo? Sony non ci dorme la notte
- The PS4 is still selling much faster than expected – and Sony doesn’t know why
- IFA 2014: Sony presenta Xperia M2 Aqua, il cellulare per nuotare
- Sony Smartwatch 3, la compagnia al lavoro su un nuovo orologio
- Sony flogs 10 million PS4’s