Surface mini tablet might appear in Q4
Let’s face it, Microsoft hasn’t had much luck with its Surface line of tablets, be it the ARM powered RT or x86 based Pro version.
Its fortunes probably won’t change anytime soon, but over the next few months Microsoft is expected to refresh its tablet line-up and we are already hearing the first juicy rumours, i.e. talk of an LTE enabled RT version powered by Qualcomm’s beefy Snapdragon 800.
However, small tablets are doing exceptionally well and this trend has not gone unnoticed at Redmond. Topology analyst Maxwell Chang believes Microsoft will roll out a smaller, cheaper Surface tablet in the fourth quarter of 2013, Focus Taiwan reports.
The so-called Surface mini will be based on an Intel Atom processor and it should cost $ 299. It is said to feature a 7.5- to 8-inch display, no word on resolution though.
“Microsoft is likely to aim at taking on the iPad mini because it knows it is hard to compete with Android tablets in terms of price,” Chang said.
Judging by the CPU, the Surface mini will be a Windows 8.1 affair, since Microsoft has apparently already tapped Qualcomm for next generation Surface RT chips.
- Nvidia officially launches the 8-inch Shield Tablet
- Nvidia Launches Shield Tablet
- Nuovo iPad mini, 30% di spessore in meno secondo le ultime speculazioni
- HP Red: il ‘tablet’ Android da 16 pollici appare su GFXBench
- Pyrrhic victory: Intel forces its way into mobile, but might destroy itself in the process
- Batterie esterne per smartphone e tablet da 12 a 50 euro
- Nvidia Shield Tablet e controller, trapelati tutti i dettagli
- Teclast X98 Air 9.7″, nuovo tablet con Windows 8.1/Android molto simile a iPad
- iPad Mini Retina vs Galaxy Tab S 8.4″ vs MiPad: il confronto di HDblog.it
- HP 10 Plus e Slate 10 Plus: specifiche tecniche, prezzo e uscita dei nuovi tablet