Does Music In DJ TechTool’s video’s help or hurt Artists?
Autore: DJ TechTools
Hey Guys and gals, we have an important question for you and need the communities help! Should DJ TechTools be able to use anyones music in our tutorial videos – and does the use of that music help or hurt the artists? You are the best people to answer this question so in today’s post I turn to you for help, and feedback. More details and the back story after the jump:
Many of you love Chris Brackley’s excellent tutorial video work. Recently he showed everyone how to combine Mixemergency with Tratkor in a great tutorial on our youtube channel. In that video he demonstrated the concept using a song from TenWalls called “walking with elephants” which has become quite the hit lately.
About month ago we got an email from their management group material music asking us to pay a license fee or take down the video. We couldn’t come to an agreement on if, or how much we should pay, so they reported us to youtube and now the video has been removed permanently.
Long story short, this not only means a good tutorial is gone – but youtube has penalized our account and removed all links through to the blog, which really hurts this community. We have asked TenWalls management to un-do this reporting so we can remove the video on our own, but they have not responded to any requests.
ON TO YOU THEN
Ok, so how can you help? Well, I would ask two things of our loyal and amazing readers:
- Answer a few questions in the comments about how you feel – do our videos help or hurt artists?
- Let Ten walls (Mario Bassanov) and their management know they should re-consider!
First, here are the questions we are wondering:
- When you hear music in our tutorial videos, does it make you want to purchase those songs?
- Do you discover new music through our videos?
- What music would you like us to use in the tutorials?
- Do you feel that it’s ok for us to use artist’s music without asking for permission for educational purpose? “Fair Use” is legal parlance.
Help Dj TechTools Get our YouTube account back
- Let Tenwalls, and their management know how you feel about this situation
- Here is their Facebook, twitter
Technically, demonstrations that include copyrighted music in tutorials is pretty clearly “fair use” by the legal standards of today. While a very grey area of IP, there are a few clear guidelines which indicate if use of another persons copyrighted material is fair to use without explicit permission:
- Not commercially exploited
- Educational in nature
- Re-purposed or re contextualized
- Does not hurt the artists ability to commercially exploit their material
Historically Dj TechTools has been pretty relaxed about using copyrighted music in our videos. They are not for sale, and ultimately promote the artists in a positive way. We have never received a single complaint (until now) so it was assumed that using music was a positive thing!
On the other hand, we do understand that music creators should be able to have some choice over how their music is used, and we will be always asking permission first in the future – even though that will limit creativity and restrict the speed that we can produce tutorials!
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR LABEL OWNERS / ARTISTS
Our youtube channel has over 25 million views to date, with most of them coming from dj’s – exactly the kind of people which buy dance music. If there is one place you would want to get your songs then this is it! Ultimately we don’t want to promote, or offend artists don’t like our work – and instead focus on supporting those who do! So, if you or your friends own labels and would like us to use your music in our tutorial videos then please add the following email to your promo list! firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snowden’s leaks did not help terrorists
- Mobin Master & Ian Carey – Lights Out (Official Music Video)
- Toddla T Sound ‘Acid’ [Official Music Video]
- 1605 / Music Therapy / 13.12 / InBox, Lj.
- Daniel Dexter: The Other Day (music video)
- Starkillers & DJ BL3ND – Xception (Official Music Video)
- Various Artists – Zodiac // Mistique Music
- FREE Rob Papen plugin: RG-Muted CM – only with Computer Music 185
- Mike Mago & Dragonette – Outlines (Official Music Video)
- Mary J. Blige, Lenny Kravitz e tanti altri artisti all’iTunes Music Festival di Londra